The cultural mecca and entertainment capital, Los Angeles
has an estimated population of over 3,884,307. Tourists have many memories to pack in from this city, with highlights, including the Walk of Fame’s collection of stars, Universal Studios
, upscale shopping center and the list is an endless one. Did you know that
- LA is North America's only city that have hosted the Summer Olympics twice.
The Port of Authority at English Wikipedia [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0) or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html)], via Wikimedia Commons
Magnify your knowledge on Los Angeles's Interesting Facts
- The size of City of Los Angeles is approximately 472 square miles.
- Los Angeles County encompasses 88 incorporated cities.
- LA is home to people from over 140 countries, speaking different languages.
- The residents of LA are called Angelenos
- Ethnic composition of LA are 75.7% white; 14% black; 9.8% Asian/Pacific Islander
- Los Angeles has the United States largest system of roadways.
- Nicknames of Los Angeles are L.A., City of Angels, Southland and Lalaland.
- Los Angeles has the nation's largest number of women-owned businesses
- LA's Marina del Rey is the largest yacht harbor in US
- Los Angeles' full name is "El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula"
- The the bird of paradise is the city flower
- The coral tree is the city tree.
- The very popular original Bay Watch television show was filmed in the miles of LA's beaches.
- The type of government in LA is Mayor-council
- Los Angeles is home to over 80 stage theaters and 300 museums.
- The Port of Los Angeles is the nation's busiest port and one of the world's busiest.
- Every year, Los Angeles and San Francisco become 2.5 inches closer as they are on opposite sides of the infamous San Andreas Fault.
- University of Southern California Medical Center is the premier hospital in the Los Angeles area.
Dig deeper and learn about the best things to do when you're in LA